Tuesday 2 December 2014

Atlantic crossing - Nov 29 - Dec 1

Nov 29


Sky's are clearing and we are seeing more fair weather cumulus and less squall clouds. Olga and I avoided a squall this morning with some slight course changing and since then has been pretty smooth sailing. The wind is decreasing a bit, backing to the NE and the swell is decreasing as well. We are averaging a little over 6K which is nice and travelling around 150M per day over the last few days which is much easier to manage than dealing with squalls and varying wind speed and direction.
I fell asleep before my midnight watch so Jen swapped her 0600 watch with me. It's nice to have a change of watch and I managed to get a good five or six hours sleep..
Music was playing on the stereo last night and it was nice to be able to hear it well at the slower boat and wind speeds. When the wind is up there's a constant roar from the wake which makes if a bit difficult to hear over.
The parasailor was up all night and doing it's thing, slowly pulling us west.
Earlier in the passage there were times I had constant music in my head, like strange slow symphonies. Maybe promoted by the sounds of the waves and autopilot sounds, but they seemed to go on endlessly, like some trance music. The sea seems to bring out some strange senses. Olga has the same sensation.
Also dreams.

Nov 30

Aviads birthday today. I think Jen will make a lamb pie and cake for him later. Aviad doesn't really like chicken of fish, unless it's from a tuna can, so he hasn't had the best diet so far, although he still cooks up a storm and loves to experiment :)
Nice sailing day again with 15K from the ENE.
Dreams on board seem to be very crazy and vivid for everyone as well. I guess promoted by the strange sounds and motions around us that our senses aren't used to. Mine last night was definitely all about the boat. I was chatting to Stan somwhere and I remember being worried about my kite. I'd left it tied to a tree at bird rock and I was worried it would blow away in the wind, which was steadily rising. My friends told me not to worry and it will still be there but I couldn't stop worrying about it. Eventually a friend agreed to come get it with me. I didn't have a bag for it but found one outside the bird rock cafe on the way and as he rode his dragster and I half ran along side I was disappointed to see my kite gone from its previous position. As I searched the sky and beach for any sign, I woke up to find Sephina hurtling along under parasailor with a rising wind. I askd Jen what the wind speed was as I asked them to drop it at 20K at night, and she told me it was 24K. Drop the parasailor I said, still half asleep, in the cake. We dropped it on deck, set the jib and were going very slowly at 4-5 K as the wind dropped back to 15K again. A bit later we reset the parasail to make better speed.
Obviously that dream was directly related to my thoughts, but many are totally random and strange...

A nice days sail today with an average of 6K over smooth seas and 15K trade winds. Very relaxed sailing and hardly a need to trim the sails or adjust course. Jen made lamb pie and chocolate cake for Aviads birthday and we had some red wine and played some guitar and sang some songs. Sailing through the evening and watching the occasional squall go by a few miles south of us. So far so good...


No comments:

Post a Comment